Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Tie Dye Shirts


 
I love tie dye.  When I saw a Jacquard Tie Dye kit at Goodwill for $2.99 I snagged it and have been waiting for nice weather to use it.  

I also bought a Tulip One Step Tie Dye Kit from Michael's so I had a few more colors to work with.

I soaked our clothes first in soda ash {the Jacquard kit came with some but they do sell it at Michael's} for 30 minutes.

Then I scrunched them up in different ways and applied the dye according to the package instructions.  I did a couple of rainbows, a few swirls and attempted a heart.  I watched several YouTube videos on how to do the swirls well and the heart but I couldn't find instructions for the rainbow so I guessed.  And it worked!  Here's what I did:

Basically I started gathering the entire side down to the bottom hem of the shirt.
Next I tied increments off with rubber bands and applied colors in ROYGBIV and blue on the ends.  I scrunched up the blue but didn't band it off.



I love how the rainbows turned out!

I let my son apply the dye for his shirt.  He was little heavy handed but his shirt turned looking great.


We wrapped them in plastic and let them sit for 24 hours then I rinsed them in my utility sink, washed them and dried them.


Here are all of the shirts I made.  One for my son, a couple for my daughter, one for me and a couple of onesies for the new baby!  I had plenty of dye left and extra powder from the Tulip kit so I passed it along to a friend and she made several shirts as well.



Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Amy, these are awesome! We are going to be doing tie dye at our family reunion in a couple of weeks, there is about 40 of us. I have a few questions.
    How many dye kits do you think I need? After you soak them in soda ash do you dye them right away or let them dry? Also, any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks, you can email me amileester@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. #FaveCraftsTyeDye. I really like this tutorial. I would love to have a tie dye party with my 7 granddaughters. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Article. Thank you for sharing this informative article and also check our website flyydok

    ReplyDelete